What is the difference between AR/MR/VR/XR ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gam3rG0at
    Participant

So like I mentioned in my intro thread, I am new to VR gaming and I really don’t understand the terminology.

Is there a real difference between AR/MR/VR/XR or are they the same thing with only different labels?

BlackLord
    Participant

From what I read, XR is the general category of all these things playing with our reality. Included in XR are the VR, AR, and MR. VR provides a complete fantasy world, while AR adds something unreal to a real physical item. MR seems to be a mix of both, emphasizing the interaction of fantasy and real-world elements.

I hope this helps. People keep on coming up with new terms to show how fast the industry grows, but it ends up being more confusing than helping.

Frogman
    Participant

What Blacklord said summed up what those terms mean.

I will try to make it easier to explain. Virtual Reality (VR) is made with graphics and animations. Augmented Reality (AR) is like placing animation in the real world. Pokemon Go is an example of AR. Mixed Reality (MR) joining VR and AR to create a different reality. Extended Reality (XR) is a general term for all those different realities.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.