Surprisingly disappointing/amazing VR games?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Reaper
    Participant

Which VR games have been surprisingly disappointing or amazing? After waiting so long for ARK Park to be released I think my expectations grew too high. ARK Park was thrilling at first, just like being in a real life Jurassic Park movie. The audio and visuals are incredible, more so than in any other VR game I’ve tried. However, scanning and breeding creatures and creating weapons feels like the developers crossed a Tamagotchi toy with one of the games from the Virtual Villagers franchise. ARK Park was one of the pricier games, yet the newness wears off and it quickly becomes a never-ending grind!

On the other hand, Werewolves Within is an older VR game and is probably the most simplistic I’ve encountered. Werewolves Within doesn’t give me that immersive feel like ARK Park, but the game is surprisingly enjoyable. It’s a multi-player game involving social deceit that never gets old. Maybe that’s because the players put their own spin and personalities into the characters so no two games are alike. Werewolves Within was inexpensive, yet it’s one of the VR games that I keep coming back to.

What’s been your experience?

Smeagle
    Participant

I don’t experience being disappointed with a game because I don’t buy it if I’m not interested in it. YouTube is my friend when it comes to game reviews because most reviews, not all, were made by gamers.

Reaper
    Participant

I usually pre-order or get the games the day they come out when I’m really interested, Smeagle. Many of the popular YouTube channels are run by “influencers”. I usually don’t trust those opinions because they often only show the good stuff in the game. Plus, not all gamers are honest about having a relationship with the developers or getting the game for free. For some reason, I trust the opinions I find on forums. I guess because we’re all chatting and are part of a community here that it just feels more trustworthy.

Well, I’m glad you’ve never been disappointed in a game, but is there a game you’ve loved that you didn’t expect to enjoy so much?

Invincible
    Participant

IGN has quality reviews from different gamers. They are not afraid to say the negative points as well as the positive comments about the game. I pre-ordered Fallout 4 VR, and I was disappointed so right now, I will go with the strategy of Smeagle.

By the way, Smeagle, have you tried Lord of the Rings: The Great River? It is not a game per se, but your name reminded me of this boating experience with a VR.

BlackLord
    Participant

Even if the YouTube author’s opinion is skewed, the gameplay video is real. That’s what we should use in deciding which game to buy. Of course, we should never trust one source blindly.

I recently watched a video of The Climb. As you can probably guess, it’s a simulation of cliff climbing. The graphics looked amazing as usual, but it was disappointing that the game only provided hand controls. The feet are missing! I suppose our gear isn’t ready yet, so I hope the game will be improved later when it’s available. It’s a decent idea with somehow poor execution.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.